Summer can be brutal. Proper maintenance not only ensures that your AC unit will remain functional longer, but also helps keep your energy bills reasonable throughout the hottest weeks of the year.
The filters, coils, and fins of an air conditioning unit require regular maintenance to keep the unit functioning efficiently as long as it’s in service. This is especially important during the summer months as a lack of proper maintenance can lead to a reduction in air flow and higher energy bills.
Perhaps the most obvious part of Ac maintenance is cleaning and replacing air filters. If filters are clogged or blocked, they can obstruct the air flow and spread dirt and dust throughout the house. Replacing or cleaning any and all filters in the unit can increase the efficiency of the unit by between 5 and 15 percent.
Both the evaporator and condenser coils will collect dirt and debris over the months and years they’re in use. Dirt will insulate the coils and make it more difficult for it to absorb heat. While keeping the filters clean will reduce the amount of dirt collected, the coils will still need occasional cleaning to function efficiently.
Other Parts to Check
Coil fins and drain channels should also be checked and cleaned periodically as they can also effect the unit’s performance. For anything more than regular, standard maintenance, you should call in a technician to locate and fix any issues your AC unit may have. A well-trained technician should:
- Test for leaks
- Check for and seal any cracks or leaks
- Check the amount of refrigerant
- Collect any refrigerant that needs to be flushed from the system
- Measure the airflow through the evacuator coil
- Text the accuracy of the thermostat
- Make sure the heating and cooling systems can’t run simultaneously
- Check the electric terminals, tighten connections, and apply a coating if needed
- Check belts for wear and tightness
- Oil motors
Need to make sure your AC is ready for the hottest part of the summer? Contact us at McKee Energy Solutions today!